The Aphasia Alliance
The Tavistock Trust for Aphasia is a member of the Aphasia Alliance.
On the first anniversary of the death of Robin Tavistock, then the Duke of Bedford, the Trustees invited to a symposium the key organisations who work in the field aphasia and who had not met together before. The culmination of that day in June 2004, was an agreement to form an Aphasia Alliance.
For its first few years it explored and worked on raising the public’s awareness of aphasia. The TTA helped fund a full time worker to co-ordinate between organisations and establish some media stories. This project ended early in 2009. The Alliance then looked at what its purpose should be and how it would move forward.
The purpose of the Aphasia Alliance is to:
- To ensure communication, good relationships and collaboration between the organisations
- To keep each other informed
- To support one another
- To try to ensure that work is not replicated
- To exchange ideas
- To highlight shared priorities and when appropriate to speak with one voice
- To make the most of resources available
The Aphasia Alliance meets twice a year.
- The first meeting in early Spring focuses on bringing each up to date and seeing how and where we can support each other.
- The second meeting is in the Autumn and focuses on a subject that is of mutual interest to all members, and at this meeting specialist guests are sometimes invited.
During 2012, the Aphasia Alliance worked together to draw up some ‘top tips’ about communicating with people with aphasia.
To read the Aphasia Alliance top tips about communicating with a person with aphasia click here
The Aphasia Alliance has a website, aphasiaalliance.org, which acts as a signpost to various relevant organisations, including its current members:
- Aphasia Re-Connect
- British Aphasiology Society
- Chest, Heart & Stroke Scotland
- Collaboration of Aphasia Trialists (CATs)
- Different Strokes
- North East Trust for Aphasia
- Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists
- Say Aphasia
- The Stroke Association
- The Tavistock Trust for Aphasia
Logo designed and donated by Benjamin Shine.